With the launch of our new CBD Oil With Catnip & Silvervine, our very own Dr. Chelsea Luedke put together six interesting facts about catnip and how it may help your kitty too!
- Catnip plants (Nepeta cataria) come from the mint family and emit a distinct pheromone named nepetalactone which accounts for the “zoomies” that cats show after smelling catnip.
- Research shows that only approximately 70% of cats have the hereditary ability to react to catnip. Alternatively, 80% of cats show an affinity towards the silvervine plant (Actinidia polygama).
- Interestingly, kittens below the age of 6 months don’t react to catnip. Older cats have less response to catnip.
- Cats have varying responses to catnip and silvervine; typically there is a period of hyperactivity followed by a restful period. Other responses can include drooling, neck/back rubbing, and stretching.
- Cats cannot overdose on catnip! Ingested catnip has a calming effect; inhaled catnip is more likely to induce hyperactivity for a period of 15-20 minutes.
- Our CBD Oil with Catnip is perfect for cats that are hesitant about other CBD products. With a combination of catnip and silvervine, your cat will be sure to love the taste and also benefit from the calming effects.